When Permitting is Required

DeWitt Charter Township requires permits to be issued prior to the start of any work that falls under the following categories:

  • All re-roofing, re-siding or window replacement.
  • Any type of swimming pool capable of holding 24 vertical inches of water, including inflatable pools.
  • Fencing over 7 feet in height.
  • New construction, additions, remodeling, fencing, demolition, moving structures, decks, sheds, garages and carports.
  • Permanent and temporary signs.
  • Sewer connections and repairs to existing sewer services.

Please note, permits may be required for other projects not listed above. It is recommended that you call our office before commencing any work.


Exemptions from the requirement for permits are as follows:

  • Exterior window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
  • Fences 7 feet or less in height and residential sheds 200 square feet or less, however you must contact the Planning Department at (517) 669-6576 and file a Zoning Compliance Application (PDF) for approval of the location.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are designed to hold less than 24 vertical inches of water.
  • Retaining walls not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Sidewalks or driveways that are not more than 30 inches above the adjacent grade and not over a basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
  • Water tanks of 5,000 gallon or less capacity supported on grade that do not have a height to diameter or width ratio of greater than 2 to 1.

Permit applications can be obtained in person at the DeWitt Charter Township Building Department during normal business hours. Permit applications are also available online in our Documents and Forms page. Completed applications can be mailed back or returned in person to the Building Department.

Drive Permits

Drive permits are available through the Clinton County Road Commission. The Road Commission offices can be reached by phone at (989) 224-3274 or in person at:
3536 S BR 127
St. Johns, MI 48879

This and other information relating to roads in the Township is available online through their website.

Soil Erosion Permits

Soil erosion permits are issued through the Clinton County Building Department. Information on soil erosion permits can be obtained by calling (989) 224-5180 or online at the County's website.