May 2023 marks the 43rd Annual Building Safety Month, an international campaign that raises awareness about building safety. This campaign reinforces the need for the adoption of modern, regularly-updated building codes, and helps individuals, families and businesses understand what it takes to create safe and sustainable structures.
The International Code Council, its members, and a diverse partnership of professionals from the building construction, design and safety communities come together with corporations, government agencies, professional associations and nonprofits to promote building safety through proclamations, informational events, legislative briefings and more. We come together to support Building Safety Month because we understand and respect the need for safe and sustainable structures where we live, work and play.
Building codes are vital in protecting community’s citizens from disasters like fires, weather-related events and structural collapse. These codes are society's best way of protecting homes, offices, schools, manufacturing facilities, stores and entertainment venues.
This year’s theme is, “It Starts with YOU!”. Each week during the month of May a different topic is featured:
• Week 1 (May 1 - 7): PERSONAL - Building Safety Starts at Home
• Week 2 (May 8 - 14): PERSONAL - Building Safety Professionals and You
• Week 3 (May 15 - 21): LOCAL - Prepare Your Community
• Week 4 (May 22 - 28): LOCAL - Advocate for Your Community
• Week 5 (May 29 - 31): GLOBAL - Solving Challenges Together